Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Tuesday Tips #2

Last week I was raving about chunky hand-quilting accents with Perle Cotton, but I was ranting about the thickness of Perle 5, which turns relaxing hand-quilting into finger pain and frustration. However, after writing that post last Tuesday night, I woke up on Wednesday and had a little time to quilt before getting ready for work. My hands were slightly clammy making the tugging war simply impossible to win. Then…ding…light bulb. Sitting on my sewing desk were my quilting gloves (which really are all-purpose work gloves from Home Depot, but they work great) and as soon as I put one on my left hand and got to stitching, I was pulling stitches through with only little resistance and a firm grip. While I would still suggest using Perle 8 as recommended by most quilters, Perle 5 works pretty well in a pinch assuming you have a left-handed rubberized glove to pull you through. My hand-stitching came along very quickly after that discovery. Perhaps now all my leftover Perle 5 won’t go to waste. Phew! This tip was just too good to keep to myself.

Three cheers for the rubber gloves!

Check back tomorrow to see the finished product. I can't wait to share!

No comments:

Post a Comment